People today rely much on their private cars as the main mode of transportation. But what if on one of your regular busy days you turn on your car but it wont start? Or in the middle of somewhere you will be stuck in a ditch? It is surely frustrating! But this is no big deal. Before you call an exotic towing service, you need to learn first how to fix this common car issue. We’ll show you a complete guide on how to jump start a car.
Before starting your vehicle, you need to check the battery first. Cars need battery power but they eventually wear out. After you key in the ignition and the engine cranks, that means that a dead battery is not your problem. However, after you key in the ignition and nothing happens in your car’s engine, there is a good chance that you have a dead battery and jumping gets you back on the road.
Jumper cables are long cables with cable clamps on each end. Their main function is to supply the dead battery with electric power from a good battery. The owner’s manual tells a complete guide about the colors of jumper cables. Red is for positive terminals and black for negative terminals. To prevent battery discharge, it is advised to remove the positive red clamp, while it is not necessary to remove the negative black clamp from the battery. Checking the battery is very important and it has to be done regularly.
Using cables in jumpstarting a car
Follow the steps below on how to jump start your car using cables:
- Turn off your car.
- On the stalled cars batteries, connect the positive red cable to its positive terminal.
- Connect the red cable to the positive terminals of the good battery.
- Connect to the other end of the negative black jumper cable to the negative terminal of the battery.
- Attach the black negative cable to the unpainted metal surface below the deactivated car’s hood.
- Run for 2 to 3 minutes before starting the dead car engines.
- Take out cables in the opposite order.
- When the car successfully jump starts, keep it running for at least 30 minutes to give the battery ample time to recharge the weak battery.
Jumpstarting without using cables
Cars can be jump started even without cables if you have a standard transmission car. Here is a guide on how to do it:
- Find a clear downhill road.
- Put the car in the first gear after you fully depress the clutch.
- Key in the ignition.
- Leaving the clutch fully depressed, take your foot off the brake then roll down the hill.
- Go down the hill until you reach 5-7 miles per hour.
- Then quickly release the clutch. Notice that the engine turns and starts. If for the first time it doesn’t start, depress the clutch and release again.
- In the absence of a hill, you may just ask your friends to give you a push and then follow the steps above.
What you should have inside your car
Road trips with friends and families are so exciting, especially during summer and holidays. Of course we don’t really want to have a dead car, get stranded and worst, hire a tow truck. Always bring your car essentials to save you from unforeseen obstacles in the road and drive safely.
Check below 17 things that you should have in the car:
- Owner’s manual
- Car repair information
- License, Insurance and Registration
- Tire Jack, spare tire and lug wrench. These are all needed in case you need a tire change.
- Jumper cables. If cars batteries die, jumper cables are not enough to revved up , you need to also have an emergency battery booster.
- Tire pressure gauge
- Duct tape
- Cleaning supplies. Drive the car with these cleaning supplies with you: zip lock backs, reusable shopping bags, paper towels, tissues, car trash can, water bottles and more.
- First aid kit
- Tactical flashlight
- Reflective triangles / or flares
- Car hammer
- Windshield wiper fluid
- Ice-scraper or snowbrush
- Warm gear
Importance of Jumper Cables
Sometimes when you are in a hurry but no matter how your driver keys in the ignition, your car won’t start, that could be the most frustrating feeling of the car owner. The situation will become worse if your car doesn’t have a jumper cable. Of course as much as possible we would not want to hire a tow truck but if you can’t keep away from the situation, flatbed towing is a good option.
To check the battery regularly is highly recommended for drivers. Jumper cable is an essential tool that any car owner should possess all the time. It saves you from any untoward car problems.
A jumper cable has two attached wires and clamps: the black clamp to the negative and the red clamp to the positive or simply clamp the red cable to the positive terminal of the dead battery. You can also check the owners manual and the manufacturer information to learn more about jumper cables and some industry solutions on how to jump start cars.
Most of the car buying tips includes some important factors that car owners should consider most in buying a jumper cable which includes cable length, gauge, clamps and more. Car value is important and you also need to consider portable jump starters which can be used anytime, anywhere. It gives enough amperage to crank the engine and starts to drive the car.
Remember that after you have appropriately connected the jumper cable, start the donor car and charge car with the dead battery for 5 minutes. After that, start the dead car and expect that your battery should be running again. In order to drive safely all the time, car owners should know the basics on how to jumpstart a car.